Monday, December 3, 2007

I make origami cards


I have always folded paper cranes. My friend Chrisy (that I've known since I was 12) once told me that what she has in her mind when she thinks of me is the way that I fold paper, the way I use my fingers to crease the folds.

I'm working on a card order for a friend up in Guerneville who wants my Peace Crane cards. This is what I have on the card insert:

Every year children in Japan fold thousands of origami cranes in the memory of Sadako Sasaki, a little girl who died after the bombing of Hiroshima. While in the hospital, she decided that folding 1000 cranes would help her recovery, but only made it to 644. Her friends completed the task and erected a statue of her to wish for peace throughout the world.

I grew up folding cranes and have made these cards with this story in mind.

Each card is marked with a number - they are part of the series that I'm in now. I'm up to 413.











I'm working on getting an Etsy store, but I need a good name. I have some friends working on that...