Monday, January 21, 2008

Why I Make Art


I make art for the same reasons I play taiko. I can't help it.

So I found out that people are making my art into clothing. Emi thought I would be mad, but I was delighted! (I make stuff out of other people's art all of the time.)

Why I make cards...

When I first moved to Japan, I lived in a tiny fishing village. I was 22 and terribly lonely. It was the first time that I lived alone, and I discovered that mail became my obsession (this was the days before email - yes, I'm that old). Every day I would check the mailbox for a precious letter, a message from home, a reminder from the universe that I was still alive!

I love to send mail. I love everything about mail. Stamps, envelopes, putting pen to paper, cards. (Actually my obsession with envelopes started really early, but that's a story for another day.)

I make art so that I can send mail.

No comments: