Friday, August 13, 2010

Artists Talk

These quotes are from the documentary "Art City" made by Chris Maybach. 

My art is quite different to both of these artists and I don't know that I related to everything that they said.  I just thought they were interesting...

"All of my work is above the line.  I don't paint anything depressing.  To live above the line you have to think, 'I want to be good.  I want to be good every minute.'  And you only pay attention to things that you like.  And when you go to the museum you only look at thee paintings you like.  You don't look at the ones you don't like and stop and criticize and all that.  People think that they have to understand art but that's not right.  Understanding is the mind contradiction and correction and that's all below the line." - Agnes Martin

 

"Some people characterize my work as visual poetry.  And when it comes, 'Well, is it painting?  Is it drawing?  Is it sculpture?  Is it big?  It is small?'  They kind of bore me.  Why can't someone just make something?  Doesn't matter if it's on paper or concrete or what have you - the fact that something is made, where there had been nothing before." - Richard Tuttle

No comments: