Thursday, May 5, 2011

Colour


This pencil drawing has been staring me for weeks saying, "Finish me!"  But I didn't feel like it.  The technical patience required in using graphite doesn't appeal to my need for instant gratification or need for kinesthetic pleasure in creating.

But I finally dutifully got back to work.  While listening to random music popping up on my iTunes, I came across the song, Ao no Yukue (The Blue Beyond) by Kodo.  Along with taiko, it features Yoko Fujimoto singing and steel drums.  A fantastic song!

Anyway, it made me think about different aspects of music and how I see them in my mind.  For example, pure rhythm is like a line drawing to me.  Taiko can sometimes be this.  Add dynamics (soft and loud parts), and you have gradients and shadows.  Add different instruments and timbres and suddenly there's colour. I decided I wanted to have that growing out of this monochromatic plant thing I have going.

I'm curious to see what I'll do with it next.  I never really know how things will turn out.

No comments: