Saturday, June 4, 2016

Effort and Effortlessness

Again!  The months are getting away from me.  This post was due back in January when I finished working on a commission for Yuki Sushi restaurant.  

The owner and I had met a few times over the course of a year and half to discuss our ideas and concepts for this mural.  The story was about her mother coming from Yokohama to California.  After mulling it over for several weeks, I got the idea of fish traveling across the ocean hauling items with them from Japan.  

First step was to figure out my style and the fish characters.  


I like fish with big googly eyes.  



I devoted my taiko break to working on it, learning as I went.  I have used acrylic paints before but I would not consider myself a painter.  There is so much to know.  But I learn best by doing, and immersing myself in the experience.  Painting by yourself for multiple days is such a different experience to working in a taiko group!  

I'm happiest using my hands though - this is similar.  And getting to know the materials and how they feel and respond.  And observing how I respond to the colours and shapes that emerge.  Sometimes with glee, sometimes frustration...  I spent many days working on it.  

I admire artists' work that seem effortless.  I'm not there yet, but hopefully with time.  




No comments: