Sunday, November 17, 2013

Ketubah

A very close friend got married over the summer and asked me to make a ketubah for her and her wife's wedding.  This was something new to me and I had to do some investigation on what a ketubah was, what it typically looks like and then, how I could add my own artistic voice to this project.

The ketubah is a significant popular form of Jewish ceremonial art.   Ketubot are often hung prominently in the home by the married couple as a daily reminder of their vows and responsibilities to each other.  They have been made in a wide range of designs, usually following the tastes and styles of the era and region in which they are made. Many couples follow the Jewish tradition of hiddur mitzvah which calls for ceremonial objects such as the ketubah to be made as beautiful as possible.  You can read more about them here

I had some themes to work from - and started with oak trees.  I do spend a lot of time looking at trees in general.  If you know my drawings, I am always compelled to draw branches and growing, sprouting types of organic shapes.  So this excited me.  I always enjoy the investigative part of an art project - looking closely at something I know nothing about or have never looked at before.  I walked around my neighborhood in search of oak trees.  (And discovered, they don't really grow in downtown San Jose, but found some oak leaves to at least take with me.)

I got down to drawing.  And decided to try a new medium, coloured brush pens.


It started out ok, and I was happy until I got here. 


Looking at how cold and hard/spiky the trees looked, I tried to add some colour, experimenting with the properties of the brush pens.


But in the end, I gave up on this one.  Maybe I can use it for something else - like a children's book.

I started over, with my ink pens that I am used to.  And this time, I really drew more by feel than the last time.  Letting my hands draw the way they want to, they drew this.


It's such an overused phrase, but it came back to me - "Be yourself."

I added some washi paper, swirls and whimsy.

This is my first ketubah, inspired by my friends' love for each other.   The wedding reception was held under a huge beautiful oak tree. 

(Words intentionally blurred out.)
(Words intentionally blurred out.)






1 comment:

Nicole said...

Yu, I had no idea you posted about your artistic process in making our ketubah! I loved seeing this and reading about it. Every single day we gaze at the lovely work of art and are reminded of that day under the oak.