Sunday, November 23, 2014

Luna Park Chalk Art Festival

I've been wanting to participate in the Luna Park Chalk Art Festival for years, but somehow my taiko schedule never seemed to line up with it.  It did this year, hooray!

Years ago I used to help artist friends with their ginormous squares at the San Rafael Streetpainting Festival.  I learned a lot about working with chalk, while an audience watches you and the sun beating down on your back.  This was my first solo square.  I had always just been an assistant before.

I love that the festival promotes artistic diversity - professional artists and kids working side by side.  You can chat with the artists while they work and chalk swapping is highly encouraged.  I traded my dark blues for greens with the young girl drawing a TARDIS beside me.

After the festival, nature takes its course and the art fades away or is washed away by the rain. The impermanence of the art makes it even more special.

Thank you to the festival organizers for a wonderful event. 


Tottoro playing taiko initial sketches.

First step - put something down for people to look at.



I had some helpers who filled out the sky and grass.

The hira daiko trampoline idea came from someone who commented on my sketches on Facebook.

"Um, what happened...?"

"Um, how do we....?"





No comments: